Upgrading windows server and lack of redundancy

TL;DR Redundancy is important!!!

I enjoy projects and sometimes when I can’t afford new projects I just make something up. In this case, I’ve had an AD Domain Controller on Server2012r2 for.. around 4 years now. All the systems, both windows and linux, are joined to the domain. Permissions are controlled solely by group membership in AD and things work great! The domain controller is also the DHCP and DNS server for the domain (as you might expect since I have a DC…) Anyway, I decided hey, it’s 2017, why am I still running server 2012r2? Let’s upgrade to 2016! Well, I’ll kick this off by saying upgrades are the worst, I never do it and I steer clients away from it all the time. Sadly, I was lazy and I did an upgrade. It actually went very well, I had to do a couple extras but very smooth over all. I still plan to do a clean rebuild in the near future.

On to the actual issues (sorry, we will be lacking some details, but upgrading windows server is very smooth, there isn’t much for me to say about it unless requested… As I mentioned, this server also provides DNS. Since most machines on my network are Windows, which caches DNS by default, I didn’t think taking DNS down would be a big deal. Well, I was wrong, so wrong.
Continue reading “Upgrading windows server and lack of redundancy”

CUCM Licensed Users (9.x+) using SQL

A client was facing some licensing issues with shared devices. After a discussion, we decided to create a local user account for this particular location. Using this local user account, we would assign all generic shared devices (waiting room, lobby, hallway) to this user and save a bunch of enhanced licenses by properly utilizing CUWLs.

I provided some guidance and a local admin began the process of clicking a phone, setting the user, saving and picking the next. Obviously this is pretty painful and slow. I decided to see what we could do to speed the process up.

Continue reading “CUCM Licensed Users (9.x+) using SQL”

SRST-CME -> CME nightmare

Today, I was working with a client at a remote location. Initially, we prepped a Cisco 4331 to be installed as an SRST-CME device. This particular site has a PRI and a relatively unstable WAN connection. I prepped this router in a different location as we expected no WAN connection once it was installed.

As it turned out, the PRI got turned up much earlier than expected, so now we needed to get the phones registered to the router. Well, as some of you may know, you can’t configure a router for SRST-CME AND CME at the same time. Thus begins the process of removing the SRST-CME config and prepping the new config.

Continue reading “SRST-CME -> CME nightmare”